Monday, August 17, 2009

What political party are you?

Republican or Democrat? Conservative or Liberal? I'm asked that often. My answer is more akin to a cliche, what does it matter? As if a political party that I assign to myself defines who I am on every facet of the political spectrum. The real question you should ask: where do you stand on X (fill in the blank with what matters to you).

What's one of the worst things to threaten democracy? Straight ballot voting. If you don't know the politicians on a ballot then don't vote. WHAT!?!?!? Am I suggesting that you give up your right to elect officials? No, I'm saying be an informed voter. It doesn't take much, simply pick up a paper and read, view the candidates websites or position pages.

I remember in the 2004 campaign that there were masses of people voting for John Kerry simply because he wasn't George Bush. Yet if you stopped to ask some of the most ardent supporters why they could simply tell you what they didn't like about the then current administration. Just as some Republican supporters couldn't site their own reasons for their positions.

Political action is great, getting involved is what America was built on (literally for the ideal of self-governance). Change is good when there's a legitimate reason behind it.

1 comment:

  1. This is a test and only a test, I have heard complaints that it isn't working.

    ReplyDelete