Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Irresponsible journalism

Irresponsible journalism

I was just visiting Drudgereport, as I often do, and came across a news article highlighted in red by Matthew Drudge's editorial team:  SEPTEMBER SWOON: STOCKS OPEN DOWN...


I must say that this is just another example of what I call irresponsible journalism.  I understand that the media feeds off of sensationalism, but can there be any doubt that they cause more harm then good?  Seriously, we've had ONE day in September and they're ready to write off the entire month..

The public is already in a panic, we're in a bad economic cycle, a deteriorating situation in Afghanistan not to mention a myriad of other social issues going on.  So my point is this: Media, report the news don't try to drum it up.  A headline of "Dow has poor day as it looses 187 points" is reporting, what you have is an editorial.

There are rightful places for editorials, like blogs!, but always inform the public when you are writing your opinion versus reporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment